This simple and easy Goulash recipe is a favorite tradition from my childhood. I was always delighted whenever mom would make this. My grown sons often request this when they visit the ranch. I have passed the recipe on to them. I hope they pass it on someday.
Mom always used macaroni, but I now use a variety of different shapes of pasta that are currently available.
Somewhere along the line, my brother and I started seasoning with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. This adds a distinct flavor that is still our favorite combination of seasoning. My sons have picked up on this now! We won’t even attempt t prepare until we ensure we have plenty of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce on hand! My wife, however, prefers to add mozzarella cheese which gives it more of an Italian flavor. Either way, this is a simple and delicious recipe!
Simple Bison Goulash
This recipe is adapted from what my mother made. We now substitute Authentic American Bison for ground beef. Macaroni works well, but you may use your favorite pasta shape.
3 cups macaroni (or your favorite pasta)
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 pound Ground Bison
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 15 oz cans Tomato Sauce
2 15 oz cans Diced Tomatoes
Meat & Sauce
Add ½ teaspoon salt and cooking oil to boiling water and follow the cooking directions on the pasta package.
When pasta is done, drain and set aside.
Meat & Sauce
Using a Dutch Oven: Add water, 1 teaspoon and ground bison and cook over medium heat until browned.
Reduce heat to low. Add tomato sauce, mix, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add cooked and drained pasta and mix.
Add diced tomatoes and mix. Bring to a simmer.
Remove from heat and serve.
- Do not overcook the Ground Bison! Just cook until it is no longer pink.
- No need to drain the grease from the ground bison as it is lean, and we use water instead of oil when cooking to brown.
- We recommend 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of ground bison. You may adjust it to suit your taste.
- Traditionally, this is made with macaroni, but any hollow-shaped past will work well as it traps more sauce in every bite.
- Season with salt and pepper. Adding Worcestershire Sauce adds a very unique and distinct flavor.
- Serving Size
- 8 oz
- per serving
- 4 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1.6 grams
- 20 milligrams
- 516 milligrams
- 19.1 grams
- 10.3 grams